1. Home
  2. Contact
  3. Complaints & Feedback
  4. Raising a Concern About a Service

Raising a Concern About a Service

One of the most important ways for us to make sure care services improve, is by listening to your concerns.

The information you provide will be used to inform our inspections, and depending on the seriousness of your concerns, RQIA will take the appropriate steps as necessary.

If you wish to contact us regarding a concern about a service, you can:

  • Phone: RQIA's Guidance Team (Mon-Fri 9am-5pm): 028 9536 1990
  • Email: info@rqia.org.uk
  • Post: The Regulation and Quality Improvement Authority, 9th Floor Riverside Tower, 5 Lanyon Place, Belfast, BT1 3BT

If you work in an HSC service, and wish to raise concerns, you can find out more here.

For further help and advice on raising a concern or complaint about an independent service (e.g. care home or domiciliary care agency) or HSC service (e.g. hospital, mental health facility), RQIA has produced short guidance leaflets, which can be accessed by clicking the images below:


If you wish to make a complaint/raise concerns, or are dissatisfied with a service, you should follow these steps in line with Guidance In Relation to the Health And Social Care Complaints Procedure, April 2019‚Äč

1. In the first instance, raise your concern with the service provider (for example, the manager of a home/service) who should attempt to resolve your concerns in line with their own complaints procedures. You may also involve the local HSC trust at this stage.

Belfast HSC Trust
Northern HSC Trust
South Eastern HSC Trust
Southern HSC Trust
Western HSC Trust

You can get practical support to help you make a complaint from the Patient and Client Council. You can speak to a patient and client support officer at freephone: 0800 917 0222, or email: complaints.pcc@hscni.net. For more information, visit the PCC’s website at: www.patientclientcouncil.hscni.net/making-a-complaint

2. If you are dissatisfied and have not yet involved the local HSC trust, you can contact your local trust to take forward your concerns.

3. If you remain dissatisfied, you can then bring your concerns to the Northern Ireland Public Service Ombudsman at freephone: 0800 343 424 or visit the Ombudsman’s website at: https://nipso.org.uk/nipso/